Faculty/Staff Panel

Student Panel


Student Panel
Faculty/Staff Panel


Complaint / Grievance Procedures for Students

Snead State Community College strives to provide the best instructional atmosphere and level of service to students.  At times, however, students may have an issue, concern, or complaint regarding their educational experience.  In such cases, Snead State Community College strives to resolve issues as quickly as possible and at the level closet to the issue.

Students should follow the procedures listed below to resolve their concerns or complaints.

Step 1: Informal Resolution

Complaint regarding a class or instructor: The first step a student must take in resolving a complaint regarding an academic situation is to discuss it with the faculty member directly.  If that discussion does not resolve the issue, the student should then reach out to the respective Division Director that oversees the instructor.  If the issue is still not resolved, the student should speak to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.  If there is no resolution at that level, the student may file a formal written grievance by clicking here.

Any student that disputes his or her course grade should follow the Grade Appeal Process found in the Snead State College Catalog and Student HandbookThe Grade Appeal Form referenced in the process may be found by clicking here or by obtaining a paper version from the Office of the Vice President for Student Services located in Suite 215 of the McCain Center.

Complaint about another student: The first step is to discuss the concern with the other student.  If the student with the concern is uncomfortable addressing the other student, he or she may contact the Director of Student Support & Engagement.  If there is no resolution at that level, the student may file a formal written grievance by clicking here.

Complaint about sexual harassment and/or sexual violence: The student should immediately contact the Title IX Coordinator at the college.  At Snead State Community College, the Director of Student Support and Campus Engagement serves as the Title IX Coordinator.  More information concerning the Title IX process may be found by clicking here.

Other complaints: If the student has a complaint regarding college services (i.e. financial aid, disability services, facilities, advising and registration, admissions, computer accounts, business office, etc.), she or he should first attempt to resolve the issue by speaking with the supervisor in that department.  If the issue is not resolved at that level, the student may file a formal written grievance by clicking here.

Step 2: Formal Grievance

A student who has attempted informal resolution without success may file a formal written grievance.  The student should fully complete and submit the electronic student grievance form by clicking here.  In the event that a student does not wish to submit his/her grievance form electronically, the student may request a paper form from the Office of the Vice President for Student Services.  Upon submission, this form will be submitted to the appropriate Executive Cabinet member over the area in which the student has a concern.  The Executive Cabinet member (or designee) will conduct an investigation within ten (10) working days of receiving the complaint.  The outcome of the investigation will then be communicated to the student within thirty (30) working days of receiving the complaint.

Alabama Community College System

If, after exhausting all available institutional processes, a student’s grievance remains unresolved, the student may appeal to the Alabama Community College System using the System’s official Student Complaint Form, which is available online at the ACCS website (www.accs.edu).  Students may submit completed forms by printing the form, signing it, and then either (1) scanning and emailing it to complaints@accs.edu or (2) mailing to Alabama Community College System, Attention: Division of Student Affairs, P.O. Box 302130, Montgomery, AL 36130.


Grievances regarding accreditation may also be made by contacting the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, 30033-4097, telephone: 404-679-4500 (www.sacscoc.org).

Out-of-State Students & NC-SARA

Snead State Community College desires to resolve student grievances, complaints, and concerns in an expeditious, fair, and amicable manner.  Students residing outside of the State of Alabama while attending Snead State who desire to resolve a grievance should follow the College’s Complaint / Grievance Procedures for Students.  However, if an issue cannot be resolved internally, students may file a complaint with their own state.  Contact information for other state agencies may be found at https://nc-sara.org/directory.