Things you should know about the Accuplacer Placement Exam:
The computer-based exam consists of 2 sections: Writing/Grammar and Mathematics.
- Before taking the Accuplacer Placement Exam, you must have completed and submitted your online Application for Admission.
- Your score on each section will determine which class you will be able to start with (ENR 098 up to ENG 101 and MTH 098 up to MTH 125).
- The exam is un-timed so please take your time since the higher you score, the higher course you will be able to start with!!!
- For English placement, you will take the Accuplacer test called “WritePlacer” where you will compose a 300-600 word essay on an Accuplacer chosen prompt. You will be scored on the following six writing dimensions: Purpose and Focus, Organization and Structure, Development and Support, Sentence Variety and Style, Mechanical Conventions, and Critical Thinking. The essay is the first portion of the Accuplacer exam, so come prepared to do your best.
- For math placement, you will take the Accuplacer test titled “Next Generation Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics.” (The link is at the bottom of the page.)
- Accuplacer provides a built-in “pop-up” calculator for questions that Accuplacer deems is necessary for calculating an answer. Calculators are simply a tool for the student and are not available for all items. You will not be permitted to use your own hand-held calculator.
- You will be allowed to retest once in a calendar year. Placement scores will be valid for five years from the date of the original or retest assessment. To retest, you will have to provide evidence that you have completed test preparation activities. You will also be required to pay a $10 retest fee. See the statement below under “Practice Tests/Questions” regarding materials as evidence that you have prepared to retest.
- Photo ID is needed in order to test.
- Due to safety precautions because of COVID-19, students may only take the Accuplacer in person BY APPOINTMENT ONLY or through an online service called Examity. Students taking advantage of Examity must have a computer that meets Examity/Accuplacer requirements for software, audio, and video. There is also a $25 fee for the online proctoring service.
Students making an appointment to come to the testing center must bring a photo ID and adhere to the College’s COVID-19 procedures, such as wearing a mandatory mask, completing a signed waiver, responding to mandatory questions and submitting to a temperature check.
No personal belongings are allowed in the testing lab. Please leave all materials at home or secured out of sight in your car.
Please note: Due to safety concerns regarding COVID-19, Accuplacer testing is available only by appointment or through an online proctoring company called Examity. Students who walk in to the testing center will not be able to take the Accuplacer test without first making an appointment.
- Monday – Thursday anytime between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – Noon. at the Academic Success Center on the Boaz campus.
- Arab Instructional Site – By appointment ONLY. Students need to call 256-840-4116, to schedule an appointment. Testing is offered from 4:30-8:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at the Arab site.
- You DO NOT need to make an appointment or pre-register as long as you test anytime between those hours at the Boaz campus.
The following information is for first time testers and re-testers. For each section that you wish to retest in, you must visit here. You will download the “Accuplacer Study App” located on the right hand of the page. Click on the practice test/tests that you wish to challenge your initial score. You may print out your score to show to the Testing Proctor, or if you have completed on your phone/tablet, you may show the score from your phone to the Testing Proctor before you test. Please note that practice tests based on the App apply to math only.
Need more information?
Office: Academic Success Center
Phone: (256) 840-4165