Things you should know about the Accuplacer Placement Exam:
The computer-based exam consists of 2 sections: Writing/Grammar and Mathematics.
- Before taking the Accuplacer Placement Exam, you must have completed and submitted your online Application for Admission.
- Your score on each section will determine which class you will be able to start with (ENR 098 up to ENG 101 and MTH 098 up to MTH 125).
- The exam is un-timed so please take your time since the higher you score, the higher course you will be able to start with!!!
- For English placement, you will take the Accuplacer test called “WritePlacer” where you will compose a 300-600 word essay on an Accuplacer chosen prompt. You will be scored on the following six writing dimensions: Purpose and Focus, Organization and Structure, Development and Support, Sentence Variety and Style, Mechanical Conventions, and Critical Thinking. The essay is the first portion of the Accuplacer exam, so come prepared to do your best.
- For math placement, you will take the Accuplacer test titled “Next Generation Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics.” (The link is at the bottom of the page.)
- Accuplacer provides a built-in “pop-up” calculator for questions that Accuplacer deems is necessary for calculating an answer. Calculators are simply a tool for the student and are not available for all items. You will not be permitted to use your own hand-held calculator.
- You will be allowed to retest once in a calendar year. Placement scores will be valid for five years from the date of the original or retest assessment. To retest, you will have to provide evidence that you have completed test preparation activities. You will also be required to pay a $10 retest fee. See the statement below under “Practice Tests/Questions” regarding materials as evidence that you have prepared to retest.
- Photo ID is needed in order to test. Students making an appointment to come to the testing center must bring a photo ID and adhere to the College’s COVID-19 procedures.
No personal belongings are allowed in the testing lab. Please leave all materials at home or secured out of sight in your car.
Appointments aren’t required to test on our Boaz Campus. If you have safety concerns regarding COVID-19 and testing in person, you may email the testing coordinator for information for using the online proctoring company, Examity.
- Testing is available Monday – Thursday anytime between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – Noon. at the Testing Center on the Boaz campus.
- You DO NOT need to make an appointment or pre-register as long as you test anytime between those hours at the Boaz campus.
For practice Accuplacer questions, please click here.
The following information is for first time testers and re-testers. For each section that you wish to retest in, you must visit here. You will download the “Accuplacer Study App” located on the right hand of the page. Click on the practice test/tests that you wish to challenge your initial score. You may print out your score to show to the Testing Proctor, or if you have completed on your phone/tablet, you may show the score from your phone to the Testing Proctor before you test. Please note that practice tests based on the App apply to math only.
Need more information?
Office: Testing Center
Phone: (256) 840-4165