Faculty/Staff Panel

Student Panel


Student Panel
Faculty/Staff Panel

Military Students

Welcome U.S. Veterans, Service Members, Spouses, and Dependents. Snead State Community College is committed to providing veterans with a successful educational experience. If you are a U.S Veteran, Service Member, Spouse, or Dependent, please follow these steps to apply:

1. Submit Online Application

Complete and submit the Online Application for Admission.

Readmission of Service Members

Snead State Community College will promptly readmit any student who could not attend school due to military service. You will have the same academic status you held when last attending or accepted for admission following the provisions below. The student will be enrolled into the next classes in his/her program of study.

  • Military service is defined as service (voluntary or involuntary) in the armed forces. This includes: service by a member of the National Guard or Reserve on active duty and active duty for training or full-time National Guard duty under federal authority for a period of more than 30 consecutive days under a call or order to active duty of more than 30 consecutive days.

The student must notify Snead State Community College’s Veteran Services Office of his/her military service and intention to return to school as follows:

  • Notification of Military Service: The student (or an appropriate officer of the armed forces or official at the Department of Defense) must give oral or written notice of service to the school as far in advance as is reasonable under the circumstances. This notice does not have to indicate whether the student intends to return to school and may not be subject to any rule of timeliness. Alternatively, at the time of readmission, the student may submit an attestation of military service that necessitated the student’s absence from the school. No notice is required if precluded by military necessity, such as service in operations that are classified or would be compromised by such notice.
  • Notification of Intent to Return to School: The student must also give oral or written notice of his/her intent to return to school within three years after the completion of the period of service. A student who is hospitalized or convalescing due to an illness or injury incurred or aggravated during the performance of service must notify the school within two years after the end of the period needed for recovery from the illness or injury. A student who fails to apply for readmission within these periods does not automatically forfeit eligibility for readmission but is subject to the school’s established leave of absence policy and general practices.

2. Take the Accuplacer Assessment or Submit Appropriate Test Scores

The Accuplacer Assessment is a placement test that can be taken in place of appropriate placement scores for necessary placement into Math or English course.  

Accuplacer is offered in the Testing Center on the Boaz campus Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.  

ACT, SAT and High School Transcripts can be evaluated for Math and English placement. Please email studentservices@snead.edu to find out what type of placement is appropriate for you.  

Students interested in taking the Accuplacer online through Examity must have a computer that meets Examity/Accuplacer requirements for software, audio, and video. There is also a $25 fee for the online proctoring service. 

Students who would like to take the Accuplacer assessment in person may do so at the Testing Center at the Boaz campus.  Testing is available Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. until 12 pm.  Students must bring a photo ID and adhere to any COVID-19 procedures that may be in place (i.e. wearing a mask, etc.).

Official documentation of successful completion of previous college level courses may exempt a student from needing placement. 

3. Provide Military and Academic Transcripts

To have your military transcripts evaluated, you must complete a request from your branch of service to have your transcript sent to Snead State Community College, Attn: Admissions, PO Box 734, Boaz, AL 35957.

  • Servicemen and Servicewomen who served in the Air Force can request their transcripts here.
  • All Servicemen and Servicewomen who served in all other Military Branches can request their transcripts here.

4. Applying for Benefits

To determine what benefits you are able to receive, students should speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or military counselor prior to enrolling at Snead State Community College.

You can determine the status of your benefits or inquire about problems receiving them by contacting the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or at www.gibill.va.gov.

  • Learn more about the Alabama GI Dependent Scholarship Program, or visit your local Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs County Courthouse Representative.
  • Learn more about the certification process at Snead State Community College.
  • United States Department of Veterans Affairs – Contains information about VA education benefit programs, including the GI Bill®, Tuition Assistance, Veterans Educational Assistance and others.
  • How to Apply for GI Bill® Benefits –  Electronic online application to apply for GI Bill® benefits.
  • Federal Student Aid – Electronic online application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • WAVE – Monthly verifications are to be completed on the last calendar day of the month.
  • GoArmyED – GoArmyEd is the online gateway for all eligible Active Duty, National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers to request Tuition Assistance (TA) online, anytime, anywhere for classroom and distance learning. GoArmyED allows soldiers to manage their education records including college classes, testing, on-duty classes and Army Education Counselor support.

5. Certification Process

  • Students are encouraged to speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their military service branch prior to enrolling at Snead State Community College.
  • Students planning to use Tuition Assistance (TA) must have approval from their respective military service branch prior to the first day of classes.
  • Students must have a completed Admissions file. For transfer students, all previous transcripts (including military transcripts) must be evaluated by Snead State before submission of enrollment to the Department of Veteran Affairs.
  • Students must submit a completed VA Enrollment Certification Request Form and a VA Statement of Understanding to the Snead State Community College VA Certifying Official for certification approval. These documents require a student’s signature. Please review the VA Statement of Understanding for more information.
  • Students are required to speak with an academic advisor and be familiar with their DegreeWorks to ensure all courses they register for are included in their current degree plan. The VA will not cover courses that are not required for the student’s program of study.
  • Students must notify the Snead State Community College VA Certifying Official of any changes in schedule, including complete withdrawals. Failure to notify our office could result in an overpayment.
  • Each term, a VA hold is placed on all VA students’ accounts once the certification of their enrollment has been submitted. The hold is placed on the student’s account to prevent any schedule changes without notifying the VA Certifying Official. Holds are removed the day before registration for the upcoming term.
  • If a veteran withdraws from a course used in determining enrollment status, the VA may require repayment of all benefits received for that course.
  • Once all required documents are submitted to the Snead State Community College VA Certifying Official, the student’s enrollment will be certified to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Students receiving Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607 Educational Benefits must verify their attendance with the Department of Veteran Affairs. Verification of attendance must be completed on the last calendar day of each month during the certified enrollment period.  Students will certify their enrollment by going to WAVE or by calling 1-877-823-2378.

Please be sure to review the VA Statement of Understanding for additional information.

6. Apply for Financial Aid

Complete and submit the FAFSA. Review the Financial Aid Timeline. Contact the Financial Aid Office regarding your next steps or with any questions you may have.

Financial Aid Office
McCain Student Success Center
(256) 840-4107

To retrieve a copy of your Financial Aid Shopping Sheet, log in to your OneACCS portal and go to the Financial Aid tab. Select “College Financing Plan” then to download a PDF or to view online.

Veteran Services & Forms

View all Veteran services and forms.

Snead State Community College has an open-door admission policy for all United States citizens and eligible Non-Citizens to assure accessibility and optimal higher education opportunities.  The College admits applicants on an ongoing basis, and students may enroll in courses up to the last day to add a course for that particular semester.

Contact Information

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

For more information contact the Financial Aid Office:
(256) 840-4107
Office Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.