Things you should know about the COMPASS Placement Exam:
The computer based exam consists of 3 sections: Reading, Writing/Grammar, and Mathematics.
- Before taking the COMPASS Placement Exam, you must have completed and submitted your online Application for Admission.
- Your score on each section will determine which class you will be able to start in (ENG 093 or ENG 101, RDG 085 or no Reading course, and MTH 091 – MTH 125).
- The exam is un-timed so please TAKE YOUR TIME since the higher you score, the higher course you will be able to start in!!!
- The Writing/Grammar section you will be editing an essay on the computer.
- The Reading section of the exam will test your reading comprehension skills.
- The Mathematics section will begin with questions in Pre-Algebra and based on the number of questions you get correct will progress through Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry, etc.
- You will be allowed to use a calculator on the Mathematics section BUT if you use your own calculator it will have to be approved first by the proctor. Click on the link below for calculator guidelines
- You will be allowed to test 2 times in a 3 year time frame. The first time you test is free of charge and the second time will be $8.
- Photo id is needed in order to test.
- No personal belongings are allowed in the testing lab. So please leave all materials at home or in your car.
COMPASS testing will not be available Nov. 4-6. Please plan to take the exam on another day besides these. Thanks!
- Monday – Thursday anytime between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - Noon. at the McCain Student Success and Career Center in room 111 on the Boaz campus.
You DO NOT need to make an appointment or pre-register as long as you test anytime between those hours at the Boaz campus.
- Arab Campus – By appointment ONLY. Students need to call 256-840-4116, to schedule an appointment. It's given Mondays and Wednesdays between the hours of 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Office: 112, McCain Student Success and Career Center
Phone: (256) 840-4165