Things you should know about the Accuplacer Placement Exam:
The computer based exam consists of 3 sections: Reading, Writing/Grammar, and Mathematics.
- Before taking the Accuplacer Placement Exam, you must have completed and submitted your online Application for Admission.
- Your score on each section will determine which class you will be able to start in (ENR 094 or ENG 101 or no Reading course, and MTH 091 – MTH 125).
- The exam is un-timed so please take your time since the higher you score, the higher course you will be able to start in!!!
- For the Writing/Grammar section, you will be composing a 300-600 word essay on an Accuplacer chosen prompt. You will be scored on the following 6 writing dimensions: Purpose and Focus, Organization and Structure, Development and Support, Sentence Variety and Style, Mechanical Conventions, and Critical Thinking. The essay is the first portion of the Accuplacer exam, so come prepared to do your best.
- The Reading Comprehension test measures a student’s ability to understand what he/she has read dealing with things like Main Ideas, Direct Statements, Supporting Ideas, and making Inferences.You will answer a series of 20 questions on both long and short narratives.
- The Mathematics section will begin with questions in Elementary Algebra, and based on the number of questions you get correct, you may or may not route to College Level Math.
- Accuplacer provides a built-in “pop-up” calculator for questions that Accuplacer deems is necessary for calculating an answer. Calculators are simply a tool for the student and are not available for all items. You will not be permitted to use your own hand-held calculator.
- You will be allowed to retest once in a calendar year. Placement scores will be valid for three years from the date of the original or retest assessment. To retest, you will have to provide evidence that you have completed test preparation activities. You will also be required to pay an $10 retest fee. See the statement below under “Practice Tests/Questions” regarding materials as evidence that you have prepared to retest.
- Photo id is needed in order to test.
- No personal belongings are allowed in the testing lab. So please leave all materials at home or in your car.
Please note: Accuplacer testing is offered on a walk-in basis, Monday-Thursday from 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. No appointment is necessary.
- Monday – Thursday anytime between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - Noon. at the Academic Success Center on the Boaz campus.
You DO NOT need to make an appointment or pre-register as long as you test anytime between those hours at the Boaz campus.
- Arab Instructional Site – By appointment ONLY. Students need to call 256-840-4116, to schedule an appointment. Testing is offered from 4:30-8:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at the Arab site.
For practice Accuplacer questions, please click here.
The following information is for first time testers and re-testers. For each section that you wish to retest in, you must visit here
. You will download the “Accuplacer Study App” located on the right hand of the page. Click on the practice test/tests that you wish to challenge your initial score on. You may print out your score to show to the Testing Proctor, or if you have completed on your phone/tablet, you may show the score from your phone to the Testing Proctor before you test. Please note that practice tests based on the App, apply to Reading Comprehension and Math.
Office: Academic Success Center
Phone: (256) 840-4165