Financial Aid FAQ

Check out our financial aid timeline for some important dates! 

How do I keep my financial aid in good standing? 

Familiarize yourself with the College Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards!
Each time you fail, withdraw from, or receive an incomplete grade in any class it counts against your Satisfactory Academic Progress. In order to receive federal aid (Federal grants and Student Loans) you must complete a certain percentage of the classes you begin and you must maintain a satisfactory GPA. Example: In your first semester of college you register for 16 credit hours. You earn A’s in 3 of your classes (9 credit hours) but you withdraw from 2 classes (7 credit hours). Your completion rate for your very first term is 56%; you have not made Satisfactory Academic Progress and are at risk of losing your aid for the next semester!  It is very important that you speak directly with the Financial Aid Office if you are uncertain about how withdrawals and/or failure to pass affect your Financial Aid. Do not take your friend’s advice; do not assume it will be ok to just drop one class.  Knowing the College SAP policy and staying on top of it is the single most important thing you can do to insure there is no interruption in your financial aid. The complete Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy can be found in the SSCC Catalog online. Satisfactory Academic Progress is calculated at the conclusion of each semester. Students who are not making SAP are notified via student email accounts.

How does my financial aid pay for my tuition and fees each term? 

  • Have your financial aid complete and awards accepted prior to the 1st day of class. 
  • Attend all classes to verify your enrollment for financial aid. 
  • Your tuition and fees are automatically deducted from your aid.

How do I get books for my classes? 

Registered financial aid students are allowed to make bookstore charges against financial aid during the published bookstore charge window each semester. Take a copy of your schedule to the Snead State bookstore and if you have available financial aid you may apply the charges to your account. 

What additional steps do I need to take to receive a Student Loan?

What happens if I withdraw from school or fail to pass my classes? 

If you receive Federal Title IV aid (Pell grant, SEOG, Student Loans) and withdraw from all your classes, fail all your classes, or receive an incomplete grade in all your classes, Snead State will calculate the amount of aid you did not earn. If it is determined that you received aid you did not earn, the funds will be returned to the appropriate program and you will be billed by the College. 

Where do I go if I have questions about or need help with my Financial Aid?

The Financial Aid Office is located in room 106 at the Bevill Center. You may contact the Financial Aid Office at or call 256-840-4107. Students do not have to be enrolled full time to receive the Pell Grant. You must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours to receive Student Loans. Scholarship enrollment requirements are varied by scholarship and are noted in your scholarship contract.