Workforce Development Division
The Workforce Development Division at Snead State Community College offers training opportunities designed to give you the skills you need to succeed. We provide personal enrichment classes, professional development opportunities, business and industry specific training and short-term skill training programs aimed at helping you obtain those skills needed in today's workforce. Stay up to date with Workforce Development at Snead State on Facebook.
Check out all of the Workforce Development Division offerings below.
You may register for Snead State Workforce Development classes here.
ACT Prep Class
With increased emphasis on ACT scores in determining college entrance and scholarship recipients, it is crucial students be prepared for the ACT. This prep course includes ACT practice exams, problem solving strategies and review sessions. The ACT Prep Guide is available for purchase from the bookstore.
Pre-registration and payment is required. To register, please click here.
Career Skills Training
Are you ready for a new career? New beginnings can start here. Career skills training programs provide career training opportunities in a short length of time. These programs may be completed within 15 weeks to 11 months. Financial assistance is available for those who qualify through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) for a select number of programs. Our career skills training options include Welding Technology, Phlebotomy Technician and Clinical Medical Assistant + Phlebotomy Technician. For complete details of these courses, click here.
- Snead State Community College, in partnership with ed2go, offers online open enrollment programs designed to provide the skills necessary to acquire professional level positions for many in-demand occupations.
- Snead State Community College has partnered with Career Step to help students like you train for a rewarding new career. You may also click here for more details.
Business and Industry Training
The Training for Existing Business and Industry Program at Snead State Community College provides company-specific training to businesses in Marshall Country and the surrounding areas. The College works with businesses to identify employee training needs and tailor services around those needs. The training can take place on location at the business or on the college campus.
You may register for Snead State Workforce Development classes here.
The following open enrollment courses are also available to individuals:
- Industrial Electricity
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Process Safety Management/Risk Management Program - Aug. 24-27, 2020. Enrolling now.
- Workplace Spanish
- Ammonia Operator I - Aug. 31-Sept. 3, 2020, Enrolling Now
- Ammonia Operator II - July 27-30, 2020. Enrolling now.
- RAGAGEP Ammonia Operator III - Nov. 2-5, 2020. Enrolling now.
- Boiler Level I
- OSHA 10 General Industry
- OSHA 30 General Industry
- Basic First Aid and Adult CPR
- Machinery Room Design/Best Practices - Nov. 2-3, 2020
- Root Cause and Analysis/Problem Solving
- Automotive Core Tools Overview
- ISO Auditor
- Variable Frequency Drive Training
- Pump Systems & Motor Training
- Electrical Blueprint, Schematic and Wiring Diagram Training
- Excel 2019 Part 1 and 2
- AutoDesk Inventor, Level 1 and 2
- Forklift Train the Trainer
- PowerPoint, Part 1 and 2
- Value Stream Mapping
- 5S of Workplace Organization
- Introduction to Lean Concepts
- Intro to the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Intro to Process Improvement
- Quality Assurance for Manufacturing Technician- ONLINE, Enrolling Now
- Introduction to Manufacturing Materials - ONLINE, Enrolling Now
- Introduction to Lean Manufacturing - ONLINE, Enrolling Now
- Basic Math for Advanced Manufacturing Technicians - ONLINE, Enrolling Now
- Basic Electrical Systems for Manufacturing Technicians - ONLINE, Enrolling Now
- Intermediate Electrical Systems for Manufacturing Technicians - ONLINE, Enrolling Now
- Advanced Electrical Systems for Manufacturing Technicians - ONLINE, Enrolling Now
- Fluid Power Systems for Manufacturing Technicians - ONLINE, Enrolling Now
- Basic Mechanical Systems for Manufacturing Technicians - ONLINE, Enrolling Now
- Intermediate Mechanical Systems for Manufacturing Technicians - ONLINE, Enrolling Now
- Introduction to PLC Programming- ONLINE, Enrolling Now
- Introduction to Robotics and Computer Programming - ONLINE, Enrolling Now
- Intermediate PLC Programming - ONLINE, Enrolling Now
- Fundamentals of Mechatronics with PLCs and Robotics - ONLINE, Enrolling Now
Ready to Work Program
The Alabama Ready to Work is a program that tests and scores your job
skills and work habits. It’s a way for you to prove to employers that
you are The One. Ready to Work is FREE and easy. Upon successful
completion of the program, you will receive two credentials: Alabama
Certified Worker and National Career Readiness Certificate. The
credentials complement other diplomas, certificates and degrees. It
shows employers what you can do and measures the skills that employers
and colleges seek. Whether looking for work or preparing for a better
job, get ready! Snead State Community College can prepare you to be
Career Ready! As an added benefit, graduates of Snead State’s Ready to
Work program will receive a FREE class for up to 4-credit hours. The
curriculum for the Ready to Work program includes:
- Job Prep- Career Exploration Tools, Resumes, Applications, Interviews
- Technology Basics- Document Management, Information Curation/Working Online, Social Networking, Virtual Team Tools, Productivity Tools
- Problem Solving-Time Management, Structured Decision Making, Six Step Problem Solving, Problem Solving Strategies and Tools, Negotiation, Conflict Resolution
- Workplace Behavior-Diversity, Harassment, Workplace Violence, Work Ethics, Safety
- Financial Literacy
For complete details, check out our Ready to Work flyer. You may register for our Ready to Work program here.
You may register for our RTW program here or contact Cherri Barnard at email@example.com or (256) 840-4152 for more information.
Personal enrichment classes and professional development opportunities are available through continuing education courses.
Continuing Ed Online
We offer a wide range of highly interactive courses that you can take entirely over the Internet. All of our courses include expert instructors, many of whom are nationally known authors. Our online courses are affordable, fun, fast, convenient, and geared just for you. Visit our ed2go website for more information.
Private Music Lessons
Snead State offers individual instruction in piano, guitar, voice and violin. The music performance instruction covers musicianship, music theory and music history. Students are expected to be present for lessons as scheduled. Regularly-scheduled lessons missed by the instructor, if any, will be rescheduled. Lessons missed by students will be rescheduled only at the instructor’s convenience.
The Alexander Technique
The Alexander Technique
is a mind/body training system that helps students become aware of how their thinking affects their health and their movement habits. It is taught with verbal instruction and with gentle, non-invasive hands-on contact to guide students into healthier movement habits in daily activities as well as in special activities such as playing musical instruments, singing, acting, or any other target activity for which greater ease, less tension and miss-directed energy is desired. It helps students identify helpful ways to manage stress as well as helping to alleviate pain and muscle tension.
FEES: Private Music Lessons and Alexander Technique
Tuition is based on the number of lessons and the duration of time spent with the instructor, as follows:
- Ten 60-minute lessons $360
- Ten 45-minute lessons $300
- Ten 30-minute lessons $240
Professional Certifications and Testing
Certification proves your commitment to your chosen profession and can help individuals obtain better pay, career opportunities and job security. Snead State offers several professional certifications to assist individuals with professional growth and career opportunities.
ACT Workkeys and the National Career Readiness Certificate
WorkKeys® is a job skills assessment system that helps employers select, hire, train, develop, and retain a high-performance workforce. For career seekers, taking WorkKeys tests is an important first step to prepare for education, training, or a career. WorkKeys scores help you compare your skills to the skills real jobs require. Employers across the country are requiring the WorkKeys assessments or recommending the National Career Readiness Certificate. These scores help employers choose the most qualified candidates for their jobs. For employers, WorkKeys gives you a complete solution for employee selection and development. This powerful solution offers both Foundational Skills and Soft Skills assessments, enabling you to assess the full potential of applicants and employees. The tools in this comprehensive system can be mixed and matched to meet diverse organizational needs including selection, screening, training & development and succession planning.
Snead State Community College offers the following assessments by appointment only:
Foundational Skills – Applied Math*, Workplace Documents*, Graphic Literacy*, Applied Technology, Business Writing, and Workplace Observation. (*National Career Readiness Certificate; Applied Math, Workplace Documents and Graphic Literacy are also available in Spanish.)
Soft Skills – Fit and Talent
National Career Readiness Certificate:
Successful completion of ACT WorkKeys assessments, Applied Math, Workplace Documents and Graphic Literacy, can lead to earning ACT's National Career Readiness Certificate. The Certificate is a portable credential that shows employers anywhere in the United States the achievement of a certain level of workplace employability skills in those areas. These workplace skills are highly important to the majority of jobs in the workplace.
Paraprofessional Testing for Alabama’s K12 System:
Snead State offers the following assessments to assist hiring needs for paraprofessionals (teacher aides) in Alabama’s K12 system: Applied Math, Workplace Documents and Business Writing.
APOSTC/BAT (Basic Ability Testing) for Law Enforcement and Correctional Officers:
Snead State offers the following assessments to assist the hiring needs of law enforcement professionals: Applied Math, Workplace Documents and Graphic Literacy.
ACT WorkKeys Prep:
An online study guide is available for those needing prep leading to the WorkKeys exams through ACT WorkKeys Curriculum. For more information please call 256.840.4152.
ACT WorkKeys testing is by appointment only on the first Friday of each month beginning at 9 a.m. Please contact the Workforce Development Office for more information on prep, cost, available test dates, or to make an appointment, at 256.840.4152, or firstname.lastname@example.org
National Healthcareer Association (NHA) certification
Just as each patient is special, so is each patient care provider. By providing students with the support and certification needed to succeed in the allied health field, NHA is one of the nation’s largest allied health certification providers. Snead State is an approved testing site with NHA (National Healthcare Association). Snead State offers the following certifications for persons who have received training, or work experience, in the certifying field of healthcare:
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT)
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA)
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA)
- Certified EKG Technician (CET)
- Certified Billing Coding Specialist (CBCS)
The cost for the exam, plus a study guide, $235 per person for the CPT, CMAA, CET and CBCS exam and $285 per person for the CCMA exam. (*Persons interested need to provide documentation of training, and/or work experience, to be eligible to sit for the exam.)
Multi-CrafTest Maintenance Testing
Improve your hiring, training and promotion process for maintenance employee selection. The Multi-CrafTest is for use in selecting maintenance employees who have knowledge in seven different craft areas. Categories tested include:
- Hydraulics & Pneumatics
- Welding & Rigging
- Power Transmission, Lubrication, Mechanical Maintenance, Shop Machines, & Tools & Equipment
- Pumps, Piping & Combustion
- Motors, Control Circuits & Schematics & Print Reading
- Digital Electronics, Power Supplies, Computers & PLC, & Test Instruments
- Basic AC/DC Theory, Power Distribution & Electrical Maintenance