Smart Online Security Tips
Everyone who uses a computer should be aware of and use good security practices on their systems to protect both themselves and the College. The tips mentioned below should be taken by all computer users, even if you do not have highly sensitive data stored on your computer.
- Use strong passwords for all of your accounts.
- Use encryption for file storage where feasible.
- Protect important documents with a password.
- Never share your username and password.
- Do not reuse the same password for all of your important accounts.
- Automatically receive critical updates.
- Use antivirus software and verify proper configuration.
- Back up files as needed.
- Never open suspicious emails or attachments.
- Use SSL or https for online transactions.
- Reformat the hard drive if the owner changes.
- Follow best e-mail practices.
- Browse safely.
- Use a modem and secure operating system, such as Windows 7 or 8 or Mac OSX 10.7 or later.
If you see any suspicious activity on your PC, please report it to the IT HelpDesk immediately.