What are the hours of operation for the College?

The general business hours for the College is Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Some offices on campus do operate under special hours. The Student Success and Career Center, located on the top floor of the McCain Building, and the Office of Student Services is open Monday – Thursday, 7:30 a.m. - 6 p.m. and on Friday, 8 a.m. - Noon.

What is the College’s contact information?

Boaz Campus
Phone: (256) 593-5120
Fax: (256) 593-7180
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 734, Boaz, AL 35957

Arab Site
Phone: (256) 931-3790
Address: 161 S. Main Street, Arab, AL


How do I look up my student number?

Log into mySnead using your Social Security number in place of your S Number and your six-digit date of birth (mmddyy) as your PIN. Once you are logged in, click on the Student Tab, and then select Student Records, and View Your Current Program/Major Information. Your S Number will display on the right side of the screen with your name.

How do I withdraw from a class after the first day of class?

Students may withdraw from class in one of the following ways: (1) Online through your mySnead account under the Registration tab, (2) come into the Office of Student Services and complete the withdrawal request form, or (3) email a request from your Snead email account listing the class(es) you wish to be withdrawn from along with the class call number. This is a secure site which requires authentication upon log-on. There will be few days that online withdrawal will not be available due to account payment finalization. Complete withdrawals processed through mySnead must email the Office of Student Services at studentservices@snead.edu notifying them of your status. Emails to drop classes after the published withdrawal dates for the term will not be honored. Important dates for each term are available on the college calendar. Withdrawing from classes can affect financial aid status. Students are encouraged to check with the financial aid office prior to withdrawing from class.

Do I have to pay for classes that I withdraw from?

Classes can be dropped online with no charge to the student during the add/drop period, which runs through the last day to register. After the last day to register, you will be charged for all classes on your schedule. Please note, refunds after the start of classes are only given for complete withdrawals and are subject to the published refund schedule.

How do I request a transcript?

Current and past students can use the online ordering system. Click on mySnead, enter student number and PIN (six-digit birthdate-mmddyy), and open the Student tab. All transcript requests are processed within 48 hours if received during normal business hours. Requests received over weekends and holidays will be processed once the college reopens.

How do I access my unofficial transcript?

Click on mySnead at the top of www.snead.edu, enter student number and PIN (six-digit birthdate-mmddyy), and click on the Student tab. You can view and print a copy of your transcript.

How do I access my grades online?

Click on mySnead at the top of www.snead.edu, enter student number and PIN (six-digit birthdate-mmddyy), and click on View Grades. No grade reports are mailed. Once grades are uploaded to your transcript they will no longer appear here.

How do I request COMPASS scores?

Email Ms. Shields at tshields@snead.edu or fax (256-593-7180) a written statement with your signature, social security number, and a photocopy of your ID stating that you would like a copy of your scores. If you want your scores to be sent to another institution, you must provide the correct mailing address.


How do I register for classes?

Click on mySnead at the top of www.snead.edu, enter student number and PIN (six-digit birthdate-mmddyy), and click on the Student Tab.

How will I know what classes to take?

Most degree plans require the same basic classes, so freshmen - especially those who haven’t declared a major - can register for those courses, such as Speech, English, Math, Science and History. Some courses are only offered during certain semesters, and some have prerequisites you must complete before signing up for the class. This information is outlined in the course description portion of the College Catalog.

How do I know how many credit hours to take per semester?

Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours to be considered a full time student. Student loans require enrollment in at least 6 credit hours and most scholarships require 15 credit hours, so it’s important to know the terms of your scholarship and follow them carefully. Also take into consideration how many semesters you plan to be at Snead and how many semesters your financial aid will cover. For example, if you do not plan on attending during the Summer terms, you will probably need to take more than 12 hours during the Fall and Spring terms.

What is the difference between the regular semester and a mini term?

A regular semester lasts 16 weeks. A mini term lasts only 8 weeks. Regular semester classes typically meet two days per week while mini classes may meet every day. Many students prefer mini term classes because they can accomplish more in a semester. They are able to focus more on the material since they receive instruction every day instead of every other day.

Do I have to be cleared to register before each semester?

No, but if you are a first-time student or if you change your major, you should see your advisor to review your degree plan prior to registration.

How do I change my major?

Students wishing to change their majors should complete a Change of Major form and submit it in the McCain Student Success and Career Center.  After discussing the major change, students will be directed to print a new STARS guide and make an appointment with their new Faculty Advisor.  A student who desires to make a program of study/major change and is unable to come to the campus may send a written request via his/her secured Snead student email account to studentservices@snead.edu.  Students should include their name, S #, and what major they would like to change their program to.


How do I access my student webmail?

Click on Student WebMail at the top of  www.snead.edu. Your user id is your student number. If you had a student email account prior to Fall 2012 use your old student number (5 digits). Students who never had a student email account prior to Fall 2012 user your "S" number. Therefore, your email address is studentnumber@students.snead.edu. The default password is your date of birth in the format yyyymmdd (19901227).

How often should I check my student webmail?

Daily. The College regularly sends notices through your student e-mail about upcoming activities, changes in course schedules, and other important information. It is also important to keep your inbox cleared so new mail can be received without a problem.

What is the User Name and PIN for logging into Blackboard (online) classes?

 The user name is your student number. The password is your date of birth in mmddyy format.

Who can provide technical assistance with Blackboard (online) classes?

Jerri Gullion at (256) 840-4180 or jgullion@snead.edu.


Why do I need a photo Student ID badge?

The photo Student ID badge may be used to gain free admission to the College’s athletic events, special fine arts events, and any other student activity sponsored by Snead State. Some businesses also provide student discounts, and the Student ID badge can be provided as proof of enrollment.

How do I become involved in student clubs and organizations?

You can obtain information through the Office of Campus Engagement, located on the top floor of the McCain Building, or you may attend Club Rush, held once during the fall semester and once during the spring semester. Club Rush brings all of the clubs together in one location, and students can visit the different booths to learn more about the clubs and how to become involved. Notification of the dates and times for Club Rush will be sent through the student webmail.

The Student Handbook and/or Student Organization Handbook can be a resource for additional information concerning student clubs and organizations.

What is “break?”

There is a built-in break between classes that lasts from approximately 10:30 a.m. until 11 a.m. Clubs and organizations typically meet during this time, and other student activities may be planned during this time. Student activity may also be found in the SUB, around the gazebo, in the Student Success and Career Center and the commons area located inside the Administration building.

What if I don’t want to leave campus for breakfast or lunch?

The Snead State Cafeteria serves breakfast and lunch. The cafeteria begins lunch at 10:30 a.m. The student lunch price is $4.

What if I want to work on campus?

There is a federal Work-Study program for students who have applied and received a Pell grant. Students complete an application with the Student Services office.

If I'm on service scholarship, how do I earn my service hours?

Participation in clubs and organizations can earn a student service hours. Students may also contact the different departments on campus asking if there is any work or projects they can volunteer for. Students may be informed of other opportunities through the Student Webmail. Students may contact Brittany Goble at bgoble@snead.edu for external resources. Do not wait until the end of the semester to start earning service hours.

Do I need a library card?

Yes, you will need them for any English class you take. Get a library card and an Alabama Virtual Library card. Where do I go if I need to use the computer?
Computer labs are available in some classroom buildings, the Library, the McCain Student Success Center, and the SUB.

Where do I go to get recreational equipment for the SUB?

Students may obtain pool cues, ping pong paddles, etc., at the counter located in the main area of the SUB.

Where do I go to get my parking permit? When should I get my permit?

Parking permits may be obtained at the McCain Learning Resource Center. You may get your permit prior to the beginning of the semester or during designated times established at the beginning of the semester. Students will be notified of those designated times through their student webmail. Students must show a valid driver’s license to obtain a decal.

Where do I park?

Each building has a designated parking area close by, and campus maps are available showing the lots students can use. It is recommended that you arrive in plenty of time before your classes begin in order to find a place to park and walk to class. Parking in an undesignated area and/or a handicapped parking space will result in ticketing by Security.

Where do I go to get my books and supplies?

The bookstore is located in the Boaz Outlet Center. For more information, call (256) 593-1861.